Kootenai County, Idaho Genealogy
Kootenai County, Idaho ancestry and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to help you you trace your own Kootenai Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Kootenai County was established on December 22, 1864 from Nez Perce County. The county was named for the Kootenai Native American tribe.
Currently the Kootenai County Seat can be found in Coeur d'Alene plus the county government website is http://www.kcgov.us/
Areas bordering Kootenai County are Bonner County (north), Shoshone County (east), Benewah County (south), Spokane County, Washington (west).
Cities and towns found in Kootenai County include Athol, Coeur d'Alene, Dalton Gardens, Fernan Lake Village, Harrison, Hauser, Hayden, Hayden Lake, Huetter, Post Falls, Rathdrum, Spirit Lake, State Line, Worley.
Kootenai County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Kootenai Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Kootenai Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Kootenai Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Kootenai County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Kootenai County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Idaho Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Kootenai County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the great importance of Kootenai County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Hidden away in Idaho courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and worries of the many Idaho citizens. The chances are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Kootenai County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars prior to visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the person to do the basic research.
The below specifics indicates what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and court records are usually in Kootenai County. The dates stated listed below could be the first noted records data for this county.
- Kootenai County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 451 N Government Way, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
- Phone: (208) 446-1221
- Kootenai County Clerk, Auditor, Recorders Office
- Marriage Records: 1881
- Land Records: 1881
- Probate Records: 1884
- Court Records: 1881
- Idaho Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Idaho for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Idaho Historical Records
- Databases include Idaho Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Idaho Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Idaho Voter Lists & Census Records; Idaho Immigration & Emigration Records; Idaho Obituary Records; Idaho Military Records; Idaho Family Tree Records; Idaho Pictures; Idaho Stories, Memories & Histories; Idaho Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Kootenai County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Kootenai County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Kootenai County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Kootenai Co. ID Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers, Books & Publications Links for Idaho
- Historical Newspapers from Idaho (1864–1922) (genealogybank.com) Rapidly identify names and key phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth notices as well as other items written in over 2,800 old U.S. newspapers. New content added on a monthly basis!
- Kootenai County, Idaho Books (amazon.com)
- Search Idaho Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Idaho, Obituaries, 2007 (familysearch.org) Digital images of originals collected and housed by the Idaho Falls Regional Family History Center. Obituaries are from various Idaho newspapers printed in 2007. This collection has multiple arrangements: by Idaho city or town, mixed cities and name, and by out of state deaths of Idaho natives.
- Kootenai County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Kootenai Co. ID Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Kootenai Co. ID Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Kootenai Co. ID Census Records
Kootenai Co. ID Cemeteries & Graveyards
Kootenai Co. ID Church & Bible Records
Kootenai Co. ID Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Kootenai Co. ID General and History Websites
Kootenai Co. ID Immigration & Naturalization
Kootenai Co. ID Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kootenai Co. ID Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Links for Idaho
- Idaho Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Idaho men and women who served. Great for Kootenai County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Kootenai Co. ID Schools & Directories
- Idaho City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Idaho. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.